Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Blake & Ellen's essays

So, in Gabrielle's class, we've been learing all about the International District. When we were given the task of writing an essay involving the International District, Ellen and I chose two different topics.

I, Blake, chose to write about the diversity of Seattle's I.D. If you didn't already know, the diversity of Asian population in Seattle's I.D. is huge compared to, say, San Fran's Chinatown. I had to research the immigration of different Asian groups, finding out numbers and dates of immigration. Once I got into research mode, I found that there was a ton of negative feelings from Seatte's existing population to the new immigrants. In different times during history, the populations of Asians fluctuated because of things like anti-Chinese laws, the Japanese being removed, and the Filipino's immigration being restricted. You can find out more if you want. I'll send you my paper and you can read it in all its glory. Footnotes and all. Haha.


Well, my paper has absolutely nothing to do with Blake's. and, let's face it, his is probably better. I chose to write about how the third generation of Japanese Americans, or sensai, have lost interest in the cultural landmarks of the International District. My paper goes into detail about how several locations, in particular the Panama Hotel and the Nippon Kan theatre, have been slowly on the decline ever since the Japanese Internment in WWII.

Fin.

No comments: